Awhile back I picked up the Kindle version of The Breakfast Taco Book, but it took me way too long to get to it! Hello Sarah, don’t be so busy 😉
Her taco book is more a weaving of local history and her awesome humor than a “standard” cookbook, but that is what makes Hilah fun to follow. Fair warning – her potty-mouth/humor is present in this book. I snorted at the reviews on Amazon of “shocked” readers. I have a feeling they hadn’t heard of Hilah before and only grabbed it because it had been a freebie for a few days. Sheesh, don’t be so sensitive! Enjoy the book for what it is – and for me…well breakfast tacos are not very common here. So it got me thinking and wanting to try it. She lays out the basic ingredients one might find in the tacos and easy recipes to make those items. As for putting the tacos together? No, that is up to the reader to get creative with – a good thing I say! As a bonus, if you are reading the book on a computer, you can click-through to see her related videos on each topic in the book.
Anyhow, I kept ours vegetarian – each of us had 2 tortillas worth:
- taco flour tortillas (heated in a dry skillet until puffy and smelling great)
- vegetarian refried beans (a bit smeared on each tortilla)
- scrambled organic eggs (2 each)
- queso fresco cheese (cojita cheese) (as much as everyone wanted)
- salsa (liberally applied)
- home fries with onion & garlic, served on the side
We need to have this more often! Thanks Hilah!