Visiting a past recipe for an amazing muffin that is part muffin/part cupcake, but hey, no frosting, so you can say “healthy”!
For allergy issues, be sure to only use safe brands of sunflower butter, such as SunButter Natural Sunflower Seed Spread. For the sunflower seeds, check out Trader Joe’s.
Sunbutter & Jam Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup SunButter Natural Sunflower Seed Spread
- 3 Tbsp Earth Balance buttery stick, diced (or unsalted butter)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage or rice milk, if allergies
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup strawberry preserves (jam)
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 400° and spray a 12 count muffin tin with baking spray (or line with muffin liners). Sift the flour through salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the sunflower butter and Earth Balance to the dry, work in with your fingers until it is a fine crumb.
Mix in the milk, maple syrup and vanilla and stir until just mixed.
Divide equally between the cups. Make a hole in the top of each muffin, add 1 tsp jam to each. Sprinkle the seeds on top.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool for a couple of minutes and then gently pop out and place on a cooling rack.
Makes 12 muffins.