My baby is 1 today! Where did this year go? Somewhere fast or at least that is Walker zipping around!
I made two batches of the same batter this morning – one for Walker’s three layer mini cake and then a set of cupcakes to go around it. Due to using a vegan recipe I did it in two batches, upsizing doesn’t always work and well, I didn’t want to risk any boo-boos today! The first batch I made his mini cakes and the second I did the cupcakes and baked them separately. I did vanilla because…well….er….I hate messes and babies love to have fun smashing! At least vanilla cleans up easier.
For the mini cakes I picked up a set of Mini Round Pans from Wilton, they are 4″ across.
Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes/Mini 3 Layer Cake
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a 12 cup muffin tin with papers for cupcakes or spray three 4″ cake pans with cooking spray. For the mini cakes place the pans on a half baking sheet.
- Stir the vinegar into the soy milk and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl sift the dry ingredients together.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the soy milk mixture, canola oil, sugar and vanilla together till smooth. Pour on top of the dry ingredients, whisk till combined.
- Divide evenly between the prepared cupcake liners (use a disher for best results), for the min cakes divide the batter evenly between the pans, there will be a bit left over – if desired bake that in a silicone cupcake liner next to the cakes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes for the cupcakes, about 30 minutes for the mini cakes or a toothpick comes out clean – be careful they do not over bake, they will have a golden color on top.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack for the cupcakes. For the mini cakes let cool in pan on a cooling rack, then carefully remove.
Makes 12 cupcakes or 3 mini layer cakes.
Vanilla Butterycream Frosting
- 2 sticks Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1 lb powdered sugar (4 cups), sifted
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp vanilla soy milk
In a stand mixer beat the buttery spread until light and fluffy. Add in the sugar 1 cup at a time until blended, add in vanilla, beat in. Thin with milk until desired consistence (I used one Tablespoon). Spread as desired.
Makes enough for 24 cupcakes (two batches of the cake recipe above).
Making the mini cake:
After the cakes have cooled carefully cut off the cupcake top, so that all 3 cakes are flat and level. A serrated knife works well. Place a little frosting on a plate to act as the glue, lay one layer on top. Put a filling on top, then another layer, then frost that, then the third layer. Frost the top and then the sides. Pipe frosting around the base and sprinkle decorating sugar as desired.
Using up the tops:
No need to waste them! After all, is not the top the best part of any cupcake or muffin? Frost and decorate as desired!