Stumped for a vegan meatloaf idea? The Magical Loaf Studio is your friend! I use it to get ideas and then go wander off and come up with a recipe from the suggestions. Gets me thinking!
I cheated and bought a package of “beef-less” ground beef at Trader Joe’s which is Yves Meatless Ground Round repackaged (exactly the same, including the “Made In Canada” on the package). That and it was nearly half the cost so hey, I splurged on some fake meat. In a meat loaf it is quite good.
Vegan Friendly Italian Inspired Meatloaf
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 celery stalks, trimmed and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic (1 tsp), jarred works fine
- ½ cup pepitas (raw hulled pumpkin seeds), finely ground
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 heaping Tbsp flax-seed meal
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 12 ounce package vegan ground round
- ¼ cup ketchup
Preheat the oven to 350°.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the peppers, onion and celery, cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minutes. Set aside to cool a bit.
In a large mixing bowl combine everything, add in the cooked vegetables and mix well.
Spread in a prepared 8×8″ glass baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, take out and spread the ketchup on top. Return to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
Cover with foil and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes and then slice up.