I was out shopping this morning with Walker when I noticed a new line of frozen items from Annie Chun. The line was on sale so I couldn’t pass up precooked mini wontons – which were just calling out to me to make a soup for our lunch today! I tweaked the recipe to keep the sodium semi-reasonable. Better than going out for Pho to say the least (and a lot less $$). And very, very tasty!
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 3 small carrots, peeled, quartered and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 ounce bag mini wontons (used Chicken & Cilantro)
Heat a tall saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and vegetables. Cover and let sweat, stirring periodically, until they are golden in color and tender.
Stir in everything through the red pepper flakes, bring to a boil. Add in the wontons, bring back to a boil and turn to medium heat. Let simmer for 2 minutes (or as directed on package).
Serves 2 large bowls (although we didn’t use all the broth, I poured about a cup off).