Chicken and Bean Tortilla Soup
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup bell peppers, chopped (frozen is fine)
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounce can lower sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12.5 ounce can chicken breast, drained
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (Rotel or similar)
- ½ cup 2% Mexican style grated cheese
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1 cup lower sodium chicken broth
- Tortilla chips
Heat a tall saucepan over medium-high heat, add the oil, peppers and onion, cook until tender. Add in everything though the tomatoes, turn to medium and let heat through till simmering. Leave whole or process a bit with a stick blender if desired.
Bring the remaining cup of chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan, add the instant rice. Cover and let sit off the burner for 10 minutes. Stir the rice into the soup.
Add in most of the cheese and let melt in.
Ladle into bowls, top with the remaining cheese and plenty of tortilla chips.