Finally, 15 days into the new year we got some snow. OK, not a lot. Just a bit 😉 It had snowed most of the day but wasn’t cold enough to stick, right before sunset it finally got down to freezing and I ran outside to snap a photo –
The thought of a warm bowl of chowder for dinner sounded great!
Veggie Cheese Chowder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced (about 2 carrots)
- 1 cup celery, diced (about 2-3 stalks)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (jarred)
- 4 cups lower sodium vegetable broth (or chicken for non-veg’s)
- 2 large russet baking potatoes. peeled and chopped small
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup water
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 3 to 4 cups broccoli florets (thawed if using frozen)
- 8 ounces or 2 cups shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Heat a tall saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and let melt. Add in the onion, carrots and celery and sauté till tender. Add the garlic, cook for a minute.
Add in the broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, turn to medium-high and let simmer until the potatoes are fork tender.
Whisk the flour and water till smooth, add to the pot and stir in. Let thicken a bit, then add in the milk and broccoli, turn to medium and let simmer until the broccoli is heated through.
Add the cheese, stir in and turn to medium-low, stirring until smooth. Use an immersion blender to process a bit (I left the soup half chunky style) or use a potato masher to break up the veggies a bit.
Season to taste and serve.
Serves 4 to 6.