Want an unusual beef stew before spring arrives? This was my birthday dinner and I had to ask myself why I am not using my dust-covered slow cooker more often – especially now with having a newborn. Dinner was so easy and I wasn’t stressed tonight. All I had to do was slice bread and dish up bowls. Yum!
Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Beef Stew
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb cubed beef stew meat (bite size pieces)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 lb sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup pumpkin purée
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Salt to taste
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil, onion and beef, brown the meat on all sides.
Add the vegetables to the slow cooker, top with the meat and onions. Mix the remaining ingredients together, pour over and stir gently.
Cover and turn on low for 6 to 8 hours, until everything is tender.
Salt to taste and serve with crusty bread.
Serves 4 to 6.