More mini-foods made in muffin cups! This time it is a pizza inspired quinoa recipe served with pizza sauce on top after it bakes.A great way to win kids over 😉
Quinoa Pizza (Inspired) “Muffins”
- ½ quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 bell peppers, cored and chopped ( I used 1 red, 1 yellow)
- 2 tsp garlic, minced (4 cloves)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- ½ tsp fennel seed, ground
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute or 2 eggs
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend or mozzarella cheese
- pizza sauce
Rinse the quinoa and add it and the water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, turn down to low and cook for 20 minutes. Spread out onto a plate to cool down.
Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium, add the oil, onion and peppers, sauté until tender and golden, add the garlic and cook for another minute. Let cool.
In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, seasoning, cheese, quinoa and vegetables, tossing to coat.
Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 12 count muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide the mixture evenly between the cups and press down gently to pack. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden on top. Drizzle the pizza sauce over before serving.
For extra flavor sprinkle the tops of the “muffins”with more cheese before baking.
Makes 12 “muffins, serving about 4.