I made this soup to go with our Sun-Dried and Parmesan Muffins last night. An inexpensive and easy soup it feels great on a cold evening. And as a bonus the soup is both vegan and low in fat, no hidden heavy cream or full fat milk, just the potatoes adding in their own richness. If you like a heartier soup sprinkle in some Parmesan cheese when serving.
Potato and Carrot Soup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 russet potatoes (about 2 lbs), peeled and chopped large
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced (about 2)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp dried Rosemary, crumbled
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth (or chicken for non-veg’s)
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and onions, cook until translucent.
Add the potatoes, carrots, water, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium-low heat, cover and let gently simmer for 20 minutes.
Take the pot off the burner, mash the potatoes until mostly smooth, return to the heat and add the broth. Bring up to a boil, turn to medium-low and let simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often until the soup is nicely thick.
Taste and season as desired.