I adapted a recipe I saw on Harmony Valley’s website for their Shepherds Pie, based on what I had on hand. Hearty, warming and so filling! I used Harmony Valley Vegetable Hamburger Mix, which I keep falling in love with more each time I use it.
Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
- 1 package Harmony Valley Vegetable Hamburger Mix
- 1¼ cups cold water
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and diced (about 2 carrots)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, diced (jarred works well)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups lower sodium vegetable broth (or beef for non-vegs)
- 1 Tbsp Annie’s Naturals Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp dried crumbled rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 15 ounce can green beans
Sweet Potatoes –
- 3 good-sized sweet potatoes ( 2½ lbs or so)
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup Liquid Egg Beaters© or 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp each salt and ground black pepper
- ¾ cup 2% grated cheese (I used Swiss)
Mix the Harmony Valley “beef” mix with the cold water and the ¼ cup oil in a mixing bowl, stash in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Heat the oven to 400° and spray a 9×13″ glass baking pan with cooking spray.
Peel the sweet potatoes and chop up, add to a tall saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Turn down and let gently boil until fork tender, drain. Heat the milk and butter in a glass measuring cup in the microwave until warm – 30 to 60 seconds. Add to the potatoes, mash well. Season with salt and pepper, then mash in the egg. Set aside.
In a large skillet heat the remaining 2 Tablespoons of oil over medium high heat, add in the onion and carrots, cook till the onions are turning golden. Add in the garlic, cook for a minute, then add the tomato paste, working in.
Sprinkle on the flour, working in and let cook for a minute or two.
Stir in the broth and remaining seasonings, turn to medium-low and let thicken, then add the drained green beans in. Cover and let simmer while the potatoes finsih cooking.
Spread the hot filling in the pan, top with the potatoes, smoothing out gently. Sprinkle the cheese on the top.
Bake for 25 minutes, let sit for 5 minutes and then serve.
Serves about 6.