I was feeling worn down and stumped last night and this dinner came out of me poking my head in the fridge and pantry. It was fast and they guys loved it 🙂
Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Pasta
- 12 to 13 ounce package rotini pasta (preferably whole or multi grain)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced thick
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp garlic, diced (jarred)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lower sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 12 to 13 ounce can chicken breast, drained and flaked
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (the can kind works well here)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook pasta for time on package and drain.
Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and mushrooms, sauté until tender. Melt the butter in, turn to medium and add the garlic, cook for a minute.
Whisk in the flour, cook for another minute and then whisk in the broth and milk, till smooth. Turn to medium-low and add the parsley, pepper and chicken, let cook until thick and bubbling.
Add the Parmesan and let heat through.
Add the hot pasta and toss to coat, serve immediately.
Serves 3 to 4.