A bit of a labor intensive dinner, it was worth it. The toddler loved the meatballs and happily scarfed a couple of them down! The dish isn’t cheap unless you can get the peppers on sale, I had picked up a big bag at Costco so had fun with them!
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1½ lbs lean ground turkey (used 7% fat)
- 2 slices Dave’s Killer Bread, ground into bread crumbs and staled (about 1 cup)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated (or finely chopped)
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup Egg Beaters© or 1 egg
- 2 tsp minced ginger (jarred works well)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lower sodium sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp finely minced ginger (jarred works well)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 20 ounce can pineapple chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 425°. Stir the meat ball ingredients together in a large bowl. Using an ice cream scoop or a 3 Tablespoon Disher, make about 22 meatballs, place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile whisk the brown sugar through red pepper flakes together in a small bowl, drain the pineapple juice into the sauce, set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add half the oil and the peppers. Let sauté until browning, turn down to medium and let cook until nearly caramelizing. Add the drained pineapple and toss, let cook for a couple of more minutes. Set the vegetables aside in a bowl, take the meatballs out of the oven and add the remaining oil to the skillet. Turn up to medium-high heat and add the meatballs in. Let cook until crispy on both sides, add the vegetables back in and shake gently to combine. Turn back down to medium, pour the sauce over and let cook covered until bubbling.
Serve over plates of hot rice.