I served these as a main dish with steamed vegetables on the side but for most families these would be a vegetable side dish. They work well for little ones and as well for adults who don’t “like” veggies. Serve with pizza or marinara sauce on the side for dipping!
PS: And they are full of protein and heart healthy oats! Just don’t mention that 😉
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (2 cloves)
- 2 cups zucchini, grated (about 2 average size)
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute or 2 eggs or 2 egg whites
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 400° and spray a non-stick standard muffin tin with cooking spray.
Heat a large skillet over medium, add the oil and onion, sauté until tender, add the garlic. Take off the heat and let cool.
Put the grated zucchini on a couple new paper towels and roll up, gently pressing out extra moisture. Add it, the eggs, oats, seasoning and half the cheese to a large bowl, mix in the cooled onions. Stir well and divide evenly between the muffin cups. Pat down gently, top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 30 to 25 minutes, until golden brown on the top and sides. Let sit for 5 minutes and then pop out carefully.
Makes 12 “muffins”, serving about 4.