It was time for a “quick” dinner which helped me use up more of our canned goods in the pantry. Brown rice isn’t quick, but it is hands-off 99% of the cooking time.
Sweet and Sour Veggies
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 14 to 16 ounce bag frozen bell pepper strips or 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick strips
- 8 ounce sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (6 cloves)
- 6 ounce bag fresh snow peas (about 2 cups)
- 20 ounce can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
- 2 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced or grated
- 1 Tbsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
- Baked brown rice
Preheat the oven to 375°. Add 2½ cups boiling water, 1½ cups long grain brown rice and ¼ tsp kosher salt to an 8×8″ glass baking dish. Cover tightly with foil, bake for an hour.
Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high, add the oil, onion, peppers and carrots, cook until crisp-tender.
Add in the garlic, water chestnuts, snow peas and drained pineapple, cook until sizzling.
Whisk together the pineapple juice and remaining ingredients, pour over, turn to low and toss, sauce will thicken quickly.
take off the heat and serve over the rice.