Thick soup made with no flour? No cream? Yes! I found my inspiration in EatingWell in Season: The Farmers’ Market Cookbook (EatingWell), on page 177.
I used vegetable broth and home cooked beans and a bit more broccoli than called for but otherwise followed the recipe. The soup was fabulous, so thick and creamy!
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- 2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 6 to 8 cups broccoli (see below)
- 1½ to 2 cups cannellini beans or 1 15-ounce can rinsed and drained
- 1 cup 2% sharp cheddar cheese + more for topping
- ground white pepper to taste
Chop the florets off the stalks, peel the stalks and chop them up, discarding the peels. Bring the broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan, add the broccoli and cover, cook until tender, lowering the heat as needed (I cooked mine on medium) for about 8 minutes. Add the beans, heat through. Take off the burner and use an immersion blender to purée. Return to the burner, turn to low and stir in the cheese till melted. Season to taste with pepper and salt, if desired.