I first made a quinoa mac n’ cheese in March. I decided to revisit it, adding in different vegetables and flavorings. I like this version although I feel it would have tasted better with a little hot sauce added to the sauce before tossing…or maybe sweet chile sauce drizzled over the top….
Quinoa Spinach Mac n’ Cheese
- 1½ cups quinoa, rinsed and shaken off
- 3 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 6 to 8 ounces baby spinach, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated 2% cheese (used a combination of mozzarella, provolone, Parmesan and sharp cheddar)
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
Heat a large skillet over medium, add the oil and onion, sauté for till golden. Add the garlic, cook for a minute and then top with the spinach, tossing to wilt. Take off the heat.
Meanwhile add the broth and quinoa to a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low, let cook for 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9×13″ pan with cooking spray.
Combine the milk and eggs in a mixing bowl, add the parsley, mustard powder, pepper the cheese, stir well to mix. Add in the quinoa and vegetables, stir to mix. Pour into the prepared pan, sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the edges are browned and cheese is melted. Cut into wedges to serve.
Serves 6 to 8.