The warm weather caught me by surprise and led to a couple of bananas turning over ripe quickly. I made a comforting loaf of quick bread rich with bananas and applesauce, low on fat and high in fiber. It was a nice loaf, not overly sweet, perfect with a little butter on top.
Banana Oatmeal Bread
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (about ¾ cup)
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a glass loaf pan with cooking spray.
Whisk the flours through baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
Whisk the oil through vanilla in a small bowl, add to the wet and stir till mixed, stir in the oats.
Spread into the prepared pan, bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until a knife comes out clean in the center. Let cool for 10 minutes, turn out onto a cooling rack, slice when cool.
Store tightly wrapped.
Makes 1 loaf.