Vegan comfort food that doesn’t taste vegan? In individual servings? With a cheese option as well for non-vegan (although vegan cheese could be used)? Keep reading…..
Mini Tamale Pies
- 1½ cups or 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained, preferably organic
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably organic
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1½ cups frozen corn, preferably organic
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp ground cumin
Cornmeal Topping –
- 1 cup cornmeal, preferably organic
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups water
Add the pinto beans through garlic to a small saucepan, heat over medium-low for 40 minutes, stirring periodically. Taste for salt, add as desired.
Near the end of the time preheat oven to 350° and place baking dishes on a rimmed baking sheet.
Add the cornmeal topping ingredients to a tall saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat, whisk until thick.
Divide the filling between the dishes, spread the cornmeal on top, with a small spatula.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden on top.
If desired, top with grated cheddar cheese before baking,
Makes 4 to 8 pies, depending on size. I made 4 individual size ones and 2 in custard size ramekins. This served 3 adult appetites, 1 toddler plus leftovers for me the next day.