- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ of a 16-ounce bag frozen bell peppers, chopped (or 1-2 fresh)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or ¾ tsp minced garlic in a jar
- 20-ounces lean ground turkey breast
- 1 Tbsp mild chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup lower sodium turkey broth (or chicken/beef)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
In a large/deep non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium high. Add in the onion and peppers, cook till softening, stirring often. Add in the garlic and meat, let cook till no pink, stirring often and breaking the meat up into small pieces. Add in the cumin and chili powder, stir well, then add the tomatoes, beans, broth and sugar. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, turn to medium-low and let cook for 20 or so minutes, stirring periodically. Add more chili powder and salt if desired.
Serves 4 to 5 large bowls.