I came up with this soup after a hard workout at the gym a couple weeks ago, trying to think up a hearty but warm soup – on a day where hail was falling fast. Served with grilled cheese sandwiches it made a great lunch. I didn’t make this soup vegetarian, I was using up stuff we had in the house, but it is easy enough to make it that way (just follow the subs I list below). Alas no photo….we were hungry that day!
Brown Rice and Vegetable Soup with Avocado
- 4 cups lower sodium beef broth (or vegetable), preferably under 400 mg sodium per cup
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn (preferably fire roasted – find at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup leftover brown rice (see baked brown rice recipe)
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp lime juice (lemon also works, bottled is fine)
- 1 large ripe Hass avocado
In a large saucepan heat the ingredients through the black pepper over medium heat. Once simmering add in the lime juice. Taste for seasoning.
To serve, ladle into bowls and top with diced up avocado.