- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chile peppers (fire roasted if you can find them)
- ½ cup green onions, chopped (white and light green)
- 1 lime, squeezed (about 2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp granulated sugar
- Salt to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor mini food chopper and pulse a couple of times till small chunk texture.
Refrigerate until ready to use, give the salsa about an hour for the flavors to meld.
I came across a great sale on green bell peppers (3 for $1!) so I knew I had to make something like tacos with some of them!
Veggie and Bean Tacos
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, trimmed, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
- 16 ounce can kidney beans (preferably lower sodium), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of above salsa
- Soft taco size flour tortillas
- Shredded cabbage, if desired
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the vegetables and cook until crisp tender and browning a bit. Shake in the kidney beans, turn to medium and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often.
Add in the salsa and turn to medium-low, let warm through.
Divide the filling between the tortillas (2 per person), add more salsa on top and a nice helping of cabbage.