We had this spicy sauce tossed with zucchini noodles, it can also be served with pasta as well and would dress 12 to 16 ounces.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup bell pepper strips (frozen) or 1 fresh bell pepper, sliced
- 1 package grilled eggplant, chopped (or 1 small fresh eggplant chopped)
- 1 tsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup pitted and drained Kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained
- 14.4 ounce can diced no salt added tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 to 6 medium zucchini, peeled and spiral cut into “pasta” shapes (use smallest setting) – you should have a large mixing bowl full of noodles
In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat, add in the bell peppers and eggplant, cook until the peppers are tender (if using raw eggplant cook until it is almost soft). Add in the garlic and cook for another minute, sprinkle on the red pepper flakes and heat. Add the capers and olives, heat through till smelling fragrant.
Add in the tomatoes, vinegar and parsley, turn to low heat, cover and let cook for 10 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool for 5 minutes (if using regular pasta use hot, right off the stove) and toss with the zucchini noodles in a large bowl. Serve immediately.
Serves 3 with 4 zucchini, 4 with 6 zucchini.