An adapted recipe from Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy, on page 97. Easy and delicious! I served the beans over quinoa polenta, which I heated over low and mashed in ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk as it heated.
Tuscan Beans and Tomatoes
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 2 15-ounce cans lower sodium cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup lower sodium vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (used no-salt added)
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add in the onion and cook till turning golden. Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Stir in everything else, turn up to medium-high and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium-low and cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring often, until thick.
Serve over hot polenta or favorite starch.