For years I have worked on getting an easy recipe for drop biscuits similar to ones I used to buy from a grocery store bakery when I was in college. This was the closest I have come (without it being a yeast biscuit) and they were very tasty. And they freeze well I might add!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped small
- 14 ounce bag bell pepper slices, chopped small
- 3¾ cups baking mix (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter, diced
- 1½ cups milk
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, chopped small
Preheat the oven to 400°.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil, onion and peppers, cook until tender.
Meanwhile mix the baking mix, garlic and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter in and work with your fingers until small crumbs. Stir in the milk and cheese, then add the vegetables.
Drop 12 biscuits (they are big) onto a baking sheet and bake for 12- to 18 minutes, until golden brown on top.