This was a fun recipe to come up with – a fried rice that wasn’t “fried” like normal. Very satisfying as well!
Skillet Brown Rice and Carrots
- 1½ cups Jasmine brown rice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ cups boiling water
- 1 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and trimmed, grated
- ½ cup raw walnuts, finely chopped
- Sauce –
- 1 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp dried orange peel (or fresh, either way)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 375°. Add the rice, olive oil and water to an 8 x 8″ glass baking pan, cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour.
As the rice is finishing up its baking time, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium. Add he canola oil and onion, cook until tender. Add in the carrots, cover and let cook for 5 minutes (it steams them).
Whisk the sauce together and set aside.
Take the rice out of the oven and add to the skillet, stirring well. Slowly drizzle the sauce over, tossing to combine. Let cook for a couple of minutes, tossing constantly. Add in the nuts and take off the heat.