Sweet and savory, these were interesting. No photo though…can’t wait for daylight before 9 am to come once again!
Sweet Potato and Apple Bacon Hash Browns
- 4 slices all natural bacon (uncured)
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (jarred)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, trimmed and grated
- 1 apple (used Fuji), peeled, cored and grated
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ tsp each ground black pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon
Add the bacon to a large non-stick skillet, cook over medium heat until crisply cooked, transfer to a paper towel lined plate, blot the grease. Leave about 1 Tablespoon bacon grease in the skillet, discard the rest. Add the onion, cover and cook until tender, add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the sweet potato, cover again and cook for 5 minutes. Crumble the bacon and add it and the apple, raisin and spices to the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes more, turn the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes more, using a spatula to stir often.
Serve with ketchup or salsa of choice.Serves 2 to 3.