This was my answer to the meat heavy Dirty Rice recipes – and it was even better the second day as a burrito filling (topped with a sprinkle of cheese and spicy salsa!).
Veg Friendly Dirty Rice
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 14 ounce bag bell pepper strips, chopped (frozen or thawed)
- 2 tsp garlic, minced (4 cloves/jarred is fine)
- 2 tsp Cajun spice blend (find in spice aisle)
- 1 package Harmony Valley Vegetarian Sausage Mix
- 15 ounce can lower sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1½ cups white long grain rice
- Hot sauce to taste
Prepare the sausage mix according to package directions, let sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to rehydrate.
In a large skillet heat 1 Tablespoon oil over medium-high heat, add the onion, peppers and celery, cook until tender, add in the garlic and Cajun spice blend and cook for a minute. Transfer the vegetables to a heat safe bowl. Add the remaining oil to the skillet, add int he sauage and cook till browned, stirring and breaking it up as it browns.
Add the vegetables back in with the broth, beans and rice. Bring to a boil, stirring, then lower to medium-low. Cover tightly and let cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff up and seaon to taste with salt and hot sauce, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6 – it makes quite a bit!