I had played with my recipe for Piccata and came up with a new modification that I could make either vegetarian or chicken, depending on what the guys wanted for dinner. Just choose beans or chicken and the related broth. I like artichokes added as well, of course you can leave out the beans and artichokes if you desire.
Piccata Spaghetti Two Ways
- 1 lb spaghetti
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 tsp garlic, minced (4 cloves)
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups lower sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 2 Tbsp)
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 15 ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained or 1¾ cups cooked white beans or 12 to 13 ounce can chicken breast, drained and flaked
- 14 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped fine (optional, worth it)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add spaghetti and cook for time on package, drain.
Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onion, sauté until tender and golden. Add the garlic and cook for a minute, then sprinkle the flour in. Whisk in and cook for a couple of minutes. Whisk the broth in till smooth and thickened. Lower the heat to medium-low, add in the lemon juice, capers and pepper. Stir in the beans or chicken and artichokes, let heat through and then toss with the cooked spaghetti. Toss with Parmesan and serve.