If you have ever wanted to hide nutrition this is the recipe for you 😉 It is velvety smooth, full of roasted butternut and hearty white beans. If you like more cheese add in a ¼ cup more. I kept it lower to keep the cholesterol count down.
Butternut and White Bean Pasta Sauce
- 1 lb pasta
- 1 lb butternut squash, cubed (if using a whole squash buy a 1½ lb size and peel/seed)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (2 cloves)
- 1½ to 2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 1¾ cups cooked white beans or 1 15 ounce can beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup Italian cheese blend
- 1 tsp dried sage or 1 Tbsp fresh
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 425°, line a small baking sheet with foil. Toss the butternut cubes with 1 Tablespoon oil, spread on sheet. Roast until fork tender, 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Let cool.
Heat a large skillet over medium, add the remaining oi;l and onion, sauté until golden. Turn off the heat and stir the garlic in, let cool.
Add the cooked squash, onions and remaining ingredients (except for pasta) to a high-speed blender container, secure the lid. For a Vitamix, select Variable 1, turn machine on and turn up to Variable 10, then to high, process for a minute, until smooth. For other blenders process on high for a minute, although if your container is under 64 ounces you may need to do two batches.
Return to the skillet, heat over medium till bubbling gently. Taste for seasoning.
Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with the sauce. The sauce will thicken up as it cools a bit (it may look like too much sauce at first).