Note: This was a recipe I wrote up last winter and came across it recently in my drafts. You can also use pumpkin as well. I was out and about today so I figured I’d slip in this recipe!
To make my life simple and to ensure a smooth sauce I used canned sweet potato purée but you can also bake or steam up some and mash them, you will need about 1¾ cups.
Sweet Potato and White Bean Rigatoni
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp garlic,minced (4 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 15 ounce can Farmer’s Market Organic Sweet Potato Puree
- 15 ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 Tbsp dried or fresh parsley
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta, whole wheat preferably
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, cook the rigatoni as directed, drain.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium, add the oil and onion, sauté until tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Sprinkle the flour on and whisk for a minute or two, add the milk and sweet potato, whisking smooth. Let heat through till thick, whisking often. Turn to medium-low and add the beans, cheese, parsley and pepper. let heat through and melt. Toss with the cooked pasta and serve.