I was inspired by a recent recipe on Real Food. Real Deals., for her Mushroom Soup. I adapted it to vegan and upped the veggies. Greta as a thick soup, it is also perfect as a thick gravy served over hot rice (or even biscuits!)
Gluten-Free & Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ pounds fresh button or crimni mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ to 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes
Heat a large stockpot over medium, add in oil, onions and carrots, saute covered for 10 minutes, stirring periodically.
Add in mushrooms and garlic, cook covered for 10 10 minutes.
Add in broth, bring to a boil, then simmer on medium low uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are fork tender.
Meanwhile, cut up potatoes, add to a steamer basket in a separate pot, cook until fork tender.
Add in potatoes to soup, and puree soup with an immersion blender. Pour in coconut milk (start with ½ cup, add to desired thickness), heat through and season to taste.
Serves 6 to 8 as soup.