I was inspired to make this recipe after bringing home many, many olives from IFBC. Tangy, a bit salty when you bite into an olive and the cherries, a pop of sweetness.
Orzo with Caramelized Onions and Cherries
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- ½ cup Dried Cherries
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper, to taste
Cover dried cherries with hot water in a bowl, let stand for 10 minutes, drain.
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add orzo, cook as directed. Drain in a colander with small openings, rinse quickly with cool water and shake off. Toss orzo with cherries and olives in a large bowl.
Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium-high. Add oil and onions, saute for 10 minutes, tossing periodically, until golden. Add garlic, cook for two minutes.
Add onions to orzo, toss till mixed. Add in cheese, parsley and pepper, taste for salt.
Serves 4 to 6.