With 10 asparagus plants in the ground this year, I can dream of the coming years when I can go out and snip a treat in spring. Until then, at least I can buy tender bundles and enjoy a delicious spring pasta. Simple, rustic, and yet and impressive dish!
Spring Asparagus and Pea Pasta
- 2 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, peeled and diced
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 16 ounces fusilli pasta
- 3 cups fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut in 2″ pieces
- 12 ounces petite frozen peas, thawed
- 6 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, cook pasta as directed on package. In last two minutes, add in asparagus. Put peas in colander, pour pasta over and drain. Return pasta to cooking pot.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together parsley through olive oil. Drizzle over pasta, toss to coat. Add in cheese, gently fold in.
Serves 6 to 8.