I worked on this recipe for lentil gravy as a low cholesterol version of B&G (good ol’ biscuits and gravy, of which nothing in it is good for you ) Awhile back I had made a different version but I wanted one without the ranch dressing in it. I served it over Yogurt Drop Biscuits. The lentils I used can be found at Trader Joe’s, they are shelf stable and fantastic to have on hand.
The recipe is both vegetarian and vegan friendly.
- 8 ounce package cooked Beluga lentils (about 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils, firm texture)
- 1 cup onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced (frozen tri color works well)
- 3 cloves garlic or 3/4 tsp diced dried
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or less for not as spicy)
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt or to taste
- 3 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
In a large non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium, add in the onion, peppers and garlic, cook until tender and just browning. Add in the flour and seasonings, stir constantly until the flour is cooked and the spices smelling good. Slowly whisk or stir in the milk, turning the heat to medium low. Avoid boiling the mixture, aiming for it to thicken up nicely, but not bubble. Add in the lentils, heat through. Taste and season as desired.
Serve over freshly baked split biscuits.