The oldest is home sick and not feeling up to par so he asked for soup. For the most part I use very little meat these days so I snuck it past him with a bit, just enough so he thought he was getting chicken soup, not ‘noodle vegetable soup’. You like meat, feel free to add as much as you like! And on the noodles? I cook them separately as this keeps them firm, they don’t soak up all the broth of the soup.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 9 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 4 large carrots, peeled and thick sliced (2 cups)
- 4 stalks celery, thick sliced (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup dried onions
- 1 Tbsp dried sliced garlic (bought at Costco in large containers)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (bottled is fine)
- 1/4 tsp dried lemon peel
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3 or 5 ounce can of chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen no salt added green peas
- 12 ounces whole grain egg noodles
Add everything through the chicken breast to a large sauce pan, let simmer till the vegetables are tender, add in the peas and let cook till warmed through. Add more pepper and salt if desired.
Boil the noodles as directed, drain and toss with a bit of olive oil in a bowl. To serve, add a scoop of noodles to the bowl, top with soup.
Serve with crusty bread on the side.
Serves 4 to 6.