On the birthday theme my brother and I got talking this past week about a deli salad that was sold for a couple of years at a grocery store when I lived on the Island (where my brother still resides). It was a neat salad: bacon, lettuce, tomatoes and pasta and of course a ton of dressing and I think it was a ton of Parmesan cheese as well. I tried to recreate it out of memory and at the same time try to make it a bit healthier (although I used full octane salad dressing!). Yum!
BLT Pasta Salad
- 12 ounce box tri-color rotini pasta
- ½ cup crumbled bacon (I used pre-cooked bagged, find in the salad dressing aisle)
- ¾+ cup buttermilk dressing
- 10 ounce tub grape tomatoes
- 10 ounce bag romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces
Wash the tomatoes and dry on paper towels.
Bring a large pot of water to boil, cook pasta for time on package. Drain, rinse with cold water and shake dry.
Toss the pasta, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce with the salad dressing. Wrap tightly and chill for a couple hours. If dry add a bit more dressing, as desired.
Serves 4 to 6.