I made soft tacos for dinner and for a side dish we had this:
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup tri-color bell pepper strips, diced (frozen)
- ¼ tsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, well-drained
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cup lower sodium vegetable broth
Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and bell pepper until crisp tender, add in the garlic and cook till done. Shake in the spices and toss to coat. Add the rice, tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil over high, turn down to medium-low, cover and let cook for 20 minutes. Take off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff up. Season to taste with salt if desired.
Serves 4 as a side dish.