I tried a new idea out for Borscht. This was good but I think I preferred Version 1 better that I made back in March. Still it was very good, just a bit too thick in veggies! Sadly I am the only one who enjoys Borscht – ah well. Neither Kirk or Ford have much desire for it. Their loss……
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch beets, peeled and chopped (I used 4, about 1½ cups)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 8 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (used no-salt)
- 1 lemon, juiced (about cup)
- 3 cups shredded cabbage (used 8 ounce bag of purple)
- 1 Tbsp dill weed
- 8 ounces non-fat plain yogurt (used Greek style) (For vegan use soy)
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large heavy pot. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the beets, potato and carrots and sauté for a couple more minutes.
Add in the vegetable broth, tomatoes (with juice), lemon juice and dill and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook mostly covered for about 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
Add in the cabbage and cook for 20 minutes.
Serve with yogurt on top if desired, for 100% vegan use soy yogurt.