I saw the basis for my recipe in the current issue of Better Homes and Gardens (November 2011). I added a few more items and roasted mine a little longer. I suppose it would make a great side dish to any protein but it was also very tasty simply as dinner. Walker loves roasted garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and happily eats 30 or more in a sitting! The sweet potato is wonderfully sweet in this dish – another thing children will love!
Oven Roasted Vegetables with Chickpeas
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into fork size pieces
- 1 lb sweet potatoes (or yams), peeled and halved, cut into fork size pieces
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into small wedges
- 1 lb red potatoes, scrubbed and halved, cut into fork size pieces
- 1 small head of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 small lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 425°, with the rack in center position.
Whirl the rosemary, sugar, pepper and salt in a spice grinder (clean coffee mill) until powdered.
Toss everything but the Parmesan cheese in a roasting pan.
Bake for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Take out and toss with the cheese and taste for salt.
Serves….a lot! As a side dish it will serve 8 easily.