I came across the basis for this recipe on a cooking website but it called for an entire stick of butter. ½ cup of butter? Wow, talk about fatty! So I decide to play with the recipe and see if I could adapt it. I took the butter out, added a diced onion and used lower-fat cream cheese and the sauce was delicious!
Penne with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce
- 1 package 13.25 ounce multigrain penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (medium), peeled and diced
- 8 ounces lower-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup dairy milk (whole works best)
- ½ cup grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- 15 ounce can pumpkin purée
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper (or less if desired)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for time on package. Drain.
Meanwhile in a large non-stick skillet heat over medium and add the oil and onion, cook until tender and turning golden.
Stir in the rest of the sauce ingredients, turn to medium-low and let the cream cheese melt in. Stir often and keep an eye on the sauce, turning down if it begins to bubble.
When the pasta is done and the sauce is creamy, toss together in the skillet. Serve immediately.
Serves 3 to 4.