Yeah, yeah…I know: my quinoa theme keeps going on these days. I admit that once I master a style or method of cooking I get hooked on it for a while and I have a couple more pounds of that pesky grain to use up 😉 Working on my promises to use up my Costco buys! Up next? Using a massive tub of barley up……
I used to make a similar dish with couscous and it works even better with quinoa I thought.
Curried Chickpeas and Quinoa
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (2 cloves)
- 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 15.5 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed (no salt added)
Heat the oil over medium in a large non-stick skillet, add the onion and sauté till tender. Add in the garlic, cook for a minute.
Stir in the tomatoes, curry powder and chili powder, let cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant and thick. Add the broth, quinoa and chickpeas, bring to a boil. Cover, turn to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, fluff up gently and add the peas. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes to heat through.
Season to taste with salt if needed and serve.
Serves 4 adults.