It is pretty easy to see how much I love making peanut sauces if you have read my blog over the years. It is easy, easy and did I mention easy? Well, that and it is very tasty. You can make them vegan, vegetarian or meat friendly easy enough. For me, peanut sauce based dinners are my fall-back “what do I make for dinner, it is 6 pm” days!
I play back and forth with peanut sauced noodles with recipes that make less sauce and to ones that I serve over rice. Tonight’s was another variation that we had over baked brown rice.
Tofu and Vegetables with Peanut Sauce
- 2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth (non-veg’s can use chicken, beef, etc)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, chunky style (such as Adam’s)
- 2 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (bottled is fine)
- 2 Tbsp sweet red chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup (or honey for non-vegan)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 package cubed extra firm tofu, well-drained (I can find it pre cubed)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 14-ounce bag stir fry mix (example here)
- 1/2 bag frozen sweet peas (8 ounces)
In a medium bowl whisk the sauce ingredients together. In a large non-stick skillet heat the half the oil over medium-high heat, add in the tofu and cook till golden, stirring often. Take the tofu out and put in a heat safe bowl, if desired shake with another Tablespoon of sweet chili sauce for extra flavor. Add in the rest of the oil and the vegetables, cook till crisp tender. Stir in the sauce and turn down to medium-low. Stir often until it pulls into a creamy sauce.
Serve over a batch of hot baked brown rice:
Baked brown rice –
- 1½ cups long grain brown rice
- 2½ cups boiling water
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
Heat the oven to 375°. Add the rice, boiling water, oil and salt to a 8×8″ glass oven-proof dish. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Fluff up with a fork.
Serves 4 to 5 large portions.