I came across Black Quinoa in the bulk bins at the PCC in Issaquah this morning. I had not noticed it before and took a gamble on it. I picked up 2 cups or around ¾ lb. It wasn’t cheap though, I spent over $4.50 on it (eek) and it was $6.08 a lb! I think I will be picking up some off of the Amazon link above, I can get it for around $3.75 a lb with free shipping. That I can almost handle spending. Although it was a fun splurge and it was quite tasty, with a pop between the teeth when eating. So my meal wasn’t the cheapest but it was fun and it made a LOT.
Black Quinoa Pilaf
- 2 cups (¾ lb) black quinoa, well rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounce can Italian style canned tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 cubes Rapunzel Organic Vegetable Bouillon, No Salt Added
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 15 ounce can brine packed artichokes, drained and diced
- 1 tsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 3 to 4 ounces favorite vegan friendly shredded “mozzarella” cheeze
Puree the tomatoes in a mini food chopper, add to a large heavy saucepan along with the water, bouillon and quinoa. Bring to a boil, turn to medium-low and cook covered for 20 minutes. Take off the stove and drain in a fine mesh strainer any remaining broth off, return to the pot.
While the quinoa is cooking heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add in the onions and cook till tender. Add the garlic and cook for a minute, then add the artichokes and heat through. Toss with the just drained quinoa. Serve with shredded cheeze on top or mixed in and salt to taste.
Serves 4 to 6.