Last night’s side dish was an easy pilaf, though it could have easily been a main dish. Hearty, filling and delicious! If I were to make this a main dish I would dice up a ripe avocado on top right before serving.
Quinoa and Black Bean Pilaf
- 1 cup organic quinoa
- 2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp organic roasted garlic (jarred)
- 1 Tbsp diced dried onion
- 15 ounce can lower sodium black beans, rinsed and drained (or about 1½ cups cooked)
- ½ cup organic frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp lime juice (bottled is fine)
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer under cool water. Shake gently and add to a heavy 2 quart saucepan. Add the broth, garlic, onion, beans and corn and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to medium-low, cover and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn to low and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then stir in the lime juice.
- Cover and let sit a couple more minutes and then serve.
Serves 3 to 6 (main dish/side dish).