I paired the baked tofu with a quinoa pilaf and sautéed zucchini for a delicious vegan dinner last night.
Curried Baked Tofu
- 1 lb extra firm water packed tofu
- ½ cup lower sodium vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup mild curry powder (Indian style)
- Drain the tofu block and press to remove more water. One way is to line a dinner plate with clean paper towels, place the tofu on top, add more paper towels, cover with a salad plate and a heavy canned or jarred item on top for a good 30 minutes or whenever you remember in the fridge. Change the paper towels if desired to remove water. Or go buy a tofu press (which does work in removing a LOT of water). Once pressed cut in half and then into 8 sticks and place in a shallow glass dish.
- Whisk the marinade in a glass bowl (curry stains plastic!) and pour over the tofu. Park in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, gently flip over to the other side and let sit for another 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400° and find a small half baking sheet. Place the tofu sticks on the sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Take out and gently flip over, return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more. Turn on the broiler and let toast for 2 minutes.