I came across this recipe in a copy of La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin’ Made Easy, which came out in 2005.
The third book in Sarah Kramer‘s series of hipster odes to vegan cooking, all the books are fun reading and easy to use. I adapted the Vegan Sausage Hash recipe on page 46 and made Kirk and I a quick breakfast this morning before I headed to my appointment at the gym with my trainer. It ended up being “Vegan Boca Burger Hash” but hey, still all good! On the other hand I ran out of our big box o’ burgers and forgot to get more last night. Costco run in my near future……
- 2 Tbsp Earth Balance buttery stick
- 2 Boca Burgers (vegan ones)
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium russet potato, scrubbed, peeled and shredded
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch to ¼ tsp kosher salt (to taste)
- Salsa for topping (mango from Costco)
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add the Earth Balance and let it melt. Add in the two Boca’s and spread the onions around them. Let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring a bit. Flip over the burgers and stir up the onions, let cook till the second side is sizzling and the onions are golden. Chop up the burgers with a spatula into small pieces and mix in. Add the onion, milk and seasoning and stir in.
Panfry until the potatoes are turning crispy golden, stirring often.
Plate up and serve with salsa on top.