Last night it was snowing while I made dinner (seriously!) so I was not feeling very “springy” and wanted something warm and hearty.
Hearty Pasta Bowls
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup baby carrots, diced
- 2 tsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 12 ounce Smart Ground or similar
- 2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes w/ garlic and olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces Vegan mozzarella cheeze, shredded
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook pasta for time on package.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add in the onion and carrots, cook until tender. Add in the garlic and cook for a minute, crumble in the Smart Ground and heat through.
Puree 1 can of the tomatoes in a mini food chopper, add it and the second can to the vegetables, along with the vinegar and spices. Turn to medium-low, cover and let cook while the pasta cooks.
Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce, adding the cheeze.
Serves 4 to 6, depending on appetite.