A salad that you can have any way you want – swap in any vegetable you like and use whatever is your favorite salad dressing. Serve cold, serve warm! The method of cooking the quinoa is a tip I picked up and wow, what a difference in the texture of the quinoa. Not mushy, it preserves the ‘look’ of the seed. A fun way to cook it!
Quinoa and Vegetable Salad
- 1 cup quinoa (I used half red, half white)
- 2 lower sodium vegetable bouillon cubes ( Rapunzel Pure Organic Vegetable Bouillon )
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 average size yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed, quartered and thinly sliced, about 2 cups
- 2 tsp roasted garlic (organic jarred)
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn (organic used)
- ¼ cup lower fat dressing (used Newman’s Sesame Ginger)
Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Fill a tall sauce-pot about 2/3 the way with water and the bouillon cubes, add the quinoa and bring back to a boil. Gently boil for 12 minutes and then drain using a fine wire mesh strainer – for best results do this over a large heat safe mixing bowl, discarding the cooking liquid and letting the quinoa finish draining.
Meanwhile in a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat, add in the onion and zucchini and cook until tender. Add the garlic and corn, cook till the corn is warmed through.
Take off the heat and add to a large mixing bowl, then toss gently with the quinoa and the dressing. Add more dressing as desired, if not enough.
Let chill for a couple of hours and if necessary add a bit more dressing for flavor, although I ate mine without more.