A very filling meal for 3 or use as a side dish and feed a larger group. If you are not eating vegan shaved Parmesan cheese on top would be perfect.
Italian Inspired Barley and White Beans
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 14 ounce bag frozen bell pepper strips, chopped
- 1 tsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (I used no-salt)
- 2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 15 ounce can white beans (preferably lower sodium), rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup barley, picked over for debris and rinsed
In a large/deep non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium, add in the onion and peppers, cook until crisp, add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
Stir in the tomatoes, broth and seasonings, bring to a boil over high.
Add in the barley and beans, stir well, let return to a boil and then cover and turn to medium-low. Cook for about 45 minutes – you may need to turn down to low near the end if the liquid is absorbing too fast. Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes covered.
Stir well and season to taste with salt.